Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Garden Gnomes?

April 25, 2015

 learned a lot this week and was refined. We saw miracles of course! Also, we had quite a few funny things happen! Also, this will be me catching up for last week too. 

Funnies: 
1. We were with the singing elders last week and I was talking to Elder Hunter(from Scotland) about going to a Garden Home. We have a member that lives in a tiny little home in a garden. I said "We are going to a garden home." He replied rather confused "A Garden Gnome??" It was pretty funny! Yes, we are teaching a family of gnomes! :)
2. We went to a dinner appointment with the Elders this week and Elder Taggart had quite the spiritual thought. He was teaching about the Armour of God. He began by asking the members for a hand towel. He put that on the table and continued to read some scriptures about the Armour of God. He pulled out a mormon.org card and wrapped it around his finger. Then from out of nowhere he pulls from under the table a giant can of beans and smashes he finger that was wrapped with the mormon.org card. It was the scariest thing! We honestly didn't know what was going on. But rest assured his finger was fine. The mormon.org card was like the armour of God. The can of beans was dented though. My companion and I just started laughing because it was so unexpected that he would smash his finger with a can of beans. It was good! 
3. We went to Weesp this week to bring the Bishop cookies. We show up at the address that was on the ward list and the name on the house is wrong. We were at an apartment building so it was a bunch of bell-ups. We decided to call the ward mission leader to make sure we had the right address. In the process of this, Sister Mashburn set the cookies on the bell-up thing. We started walking away from the apartment building to make the phone call. As I am talking to Bronno(ward mission leader), I say that we are taking cookies to the Bishop and I realize we no longer have cookies. "We are taking cookies to the Bishop...wait, Where are the cookies?!" It was pretty good and so something Sister Mashburn and I would do...we are a little clueless. :) 
4. Last week we got locked out of our apartment for the 4 time last transfer...it was bad. We went and finally got spare keys. 
5. I love spring in the Netherlands because there are geese and ducks and all sorts of animals everywhere. This week there were some geese seriously disrupting traffic. About 10 of them decided to cross a busy street around rush hour. It was pretty funny to watch the Cars try and avoid them. No one was killed though! :) 
6. Sister Mashburn and I love having fun with kids on the Metro. Yesterday, we were playing with a 3 year old girl and when we got up to leave she yelled "No, sit down!" She was very upset we had to get off! We have lots of little friends in Amsterdam! 

This week was wonderful! We worked really hard and enjoyed the beautiful weather. Sister Mashburn and I have a nack for finding playgrounds and then playing on them. We have ridden a couple of swings, rolled down hills, and ridden merry go rounds. It has been wonderful! We make sure and enjoy every day. There are always lots of laughing involved. Our investigators are doing amazing!!!!! Brother Tobias has a baptismal date!!! He will be baptized on the 24th of May! We made a baptismal calendar with him yesterday. He was a little scared but he seemed confident. His biggest worry is that if he gets baptized he won't be loyal to his covenants. He wants more than anything to take it seriously and honor his covenants with God. He is amazing!! We love meeting with him! He is coming to church tomorrow and loves it. He is also reading the Book of Mormon every day and we didn't even ask him to do that. When people want the truth, they work and build their own testimonies. :) I had never met the Bishop's wife but we had a really awesome conversation with her when we went by. We shared a thought with her and she became teary eyed. I could tell she was very grateful for our visit. Sometimes we forget that those that are strong are the ones we need to be helping. In fact, this week was a harder one for me. Satan has really been working to bring me down. I have had very negative thoughts and it hasn't been healthy. I learned this week that I need to love myself and others. I feel like I have learned this lesson before but we always have to be reminded of things. I was reminded this week of how much I need the Atonement and my Savior. I need his love to fill me. His love is filling me though. I have had so much love for those around me and myself. We can never let our guard down. We can never put things on the back burner. We have to be continually converted. The Lord is good. He knows exactly what we need. My companion was really supportive too. She has taught me a lot! We went to a member's house last night that has been struggling. She broke some commandments and will not forgive herself. She is just beating herself up for what she did. I was able to testify to her that the Lord loves her. I said some very beautiful things through the spirit. I couldn't tell you what I said. The Lord works through us if we let him. She was touched and seemed uplifted. I feel like the Lord let me suffer a bit so that I could share my experiences with this member and promise her that the Lord wants her to remember that he loves her no matter what. The work is going well in Amsterdam. I realized that I need to start turning things over to Sister Mashburn. I need to start preparing her to be in charge of Amsterdam. I got a blessing this week that made me realize that my companion is the future of the mission. I need to prepare her and help her. It put a lot of things in perspective for me. The Lord wants me to share my knowledge with her so that when I go, people will know the things I knew and will keep doing the jobs I was doing. We must always train our replacements. Well today should be fun, we are having a missionary soccer tournament! I am excited! Remember always how much the Lord loves you!! 

De heer houdt van ons allemal! 

Zuster Adams

No comments:

Post a Comment